All India Trinamool Congress (abbreviated AITC or TMC; translation: All India Grassroots Congress) is an Indian national political party mostly active in West Bengal.
The party is led by its founder and current chief minister of West Bengal Mamata Banerjee. Following the 2019 general election, it is currently the fifth-largest party in the Lok Sabha with 22 seats.
Since its inception the party has been at the forefront of the anti-communist movement in West Bengal.
Chairperson: Mamata Banerjee
General Secretary: Subrata Bakshi
Parliamentary Chairperson: Sudip Bandyopadhyay
Lok Sabha Leader: Sudip Bandyopadhyay
Rajya Sabha Leader: Derek O'Brien
Founder: Mamata Banerjee
Founded: 1 January 1998 (22 years ago)
Split: from Indian National Congress
Headquarters: 30B Harish Chatterjee Street, Kolkata-700026
Newspaper: Jago Bangla (Bengali)
Student Wing: Trinamool Chhatra Parishad
Youth Wing: Trinamool Youth Congress
Women's Wing: Trinamool Mahila Congress
Labour Wing: Trinamool Trade Union Congress
Peasant's Wing: Trinamool Kisan Congress
- Democratic socialism
- Left-wing populism
- Political position Centre-left
ECI Status: National party
- NDA (1999–2009)
- UPA (2009–2012)
- Federal Front (2019)
Seats in Lok Sabha: 22 / 543
Seats in Rajya Sabha: 13 / 245
Seats in West Bengal Legislative Assembly: 224 / 294
Number of states and union territories in government: 1 / 31
History All India Trinamool Congress:
After being a member of the Indian National Congress for over 26 years, Mamata Banerjee formed her own party of Bengal, the "Trinamool Congress", which was registered with the Election Commission of India during mid-December 1999.
The Election Commission allotted to the party an exclusive symbol of Jora Ghas Phul.
On 2 September 2016 election commission recognized AITC as a national political party.
Nandigram Movement: In December 2006, the people of Nandigram were given notice by Haldia Development Authority that major portion of Nandigram would be seized and 70,000 people be evicted from their homes.
People started movement against this land acquisition and Trinamool Congress led the movement. Bhumi Uchchhed Pratirodh Committee (BUPC) was formed against land grabbing and eviction.
On 14 March 2007 the police opened firing and killed 14 villagers. Many more went missing.
Many sources claimed which was supported by CBI in its report, that armed CPM cadres, along with police, fired on protesters in Nandigram Many intellectuals protested on the streets and this incident gave birth to a new movement. SUCI (C) leader Nanda Patra led the movement.
Important Leaders All India Trinamool Congress:
- The highest decision-making body of the party is its Core Committee.
- Mamata Banerjee - Founder, National Chairperson, Leader of the party in the West Bengal Legislative Assembly.
- Subrata Bakshi - General Secretary.
- Tamanash Ghosh - National Treasurer
- Subrata Mukherjee - MIC, Panchayet and Public Health Engineering, Govt of WB.
- Derek O'Brien -National Spokesperson and Leader of the party in the Rajya Sabha.
- Partha Chatterjee - Secretary-General (West Bengal Trinamool Congress), Deputy Leader of the party in the West Bengal Legislative Assembly.
- Sudip Bandyopadhyay - Leader of the party in the Lok Sabha.
- Dr. Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar - Deputy leader of the party in the Lok Sabha.
- Kalyan Banerjee - Chief whip of the party in the Lok Sabha.
- Suvendu Adhikari - MIC, Transport and Environment Dept, Govt of WB.
- Abhishek Banerjee- National President of All India Trinamool Youth Congress.
- Firhad Hakim - Hon’ble Mayor of Kolkata, MIC, Urban
- Development Dept, Govt of WB.