The GMAT exam is a computer-adaptive test that assesses the candidates’ analytical writing, quantitative, verbal and reading skills in standard written English. The cost of giving the GMAT Exam 2020 is US $250. This test is taken to get admission into a graduate management program, such as MBA and Masters in Finance related courses in top business schools across the world.
Why take the GMAT Exam?
It is the most widely accepted exam for MBA admissions worldwide. No other exam has as wide acceptability as GMAT, as per the GMAC, globally 9 out of 10 MBA enrollments are made through GMAT Score. Further, 2,300 + schools accept GMAT Scores for giving admission. Also, there are 650 testing centers in 114 countries that administer the GMAT Exam.
Key Highlights of GMAT Exam 2020
|GMAT full form||Graduate Management Admission Test|
|Most popular for||MBA courses outside India, check 500 + colleges|
|Also accepted for||MS courses outside India
MBA courses in India
|Conducted by||GMAC (Graduate Management Admission Council)|
|Mode of Exam||Computer-based adaptive test|
|GMAT fee||US $250 (INR 17,700 approx)|
|Score Range||Min 200, Max 800|
|GMAT Contact||+91 120-439-7830, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Indian Standard Time
What is the Eligibility criteria for the GMAT exam?
As such, there is no set eligibility criteria set by GMAC, the body conducting GMAT for appearing for the GMAT exam. However, one should always meet the eligibility criteria set by the university/college one aspires to get into after giving the GMAT.
- The candidate must have completed 18 years of age
- There is no upper age limit of the candidate
- If the candidate is between 13 to 17 years old, they should have permission in writing from their parents or legal guardian
- GMAC has not announced any official statement regarding qualification required to appear for GMAT
- Candidates who wish to enroll for an MBA programme should possess a graduate degree in any discipline from a recognized university
GMAT Exam 2020 Fee
The application fee for the GMAT exam is $250, which would translate to INR 17,000 approximately. Also, if the applicants want to change the center or reschedule the test then they will be charged $50 extra.
- GMAT Cancellation Fee: If you cancel the exam more than 7 days before the test date then you will be refunded US$80. Also, if you cancel within the 7 days of the test date then you will not get any refund. Moreover, the test appointment cannot be canceled within the 24 hours of the scheduled test and time.
- GMAT Rescheduling Fee: If you reschedule the exam more than 7 days before the test date you have to pay US$60.00 fee. Also, if you reschedule the exam within the 7 days of the test date you have to pay US$250.00 fee. Moreover, the exam cannot be rescheduled within the 24 hours of the scheduled test date and time.
How to Register for GMAT?
According to GMAC, you can register for the GMAT exam 6 months before the Graduate Management Admission Test date or latest by 24 hours before the GMAT exam date, however, the slot is not available at the last moment. Therefore, it is suggested to book your preferred slot well before the planned exam date.
Ways to register for GMAT:
- Postal mail
There are six steps to register for the GMAT Exam and also different steps to schedule the GMAT exam. You can read the complete steps to register for the GMAT Exam here.
GMAT Exam 2020 Dates
There are no fixed official GMAT dates, you can choose any date according to your convenience and availability. In case you need to retake the GMAT exam you can do so after 16 days.
You can take or retake the GMAT exam after every 16 days. You can appear for the exam a maximum of five times a year. Ideally, candidates are recommended to register themselves two to three months before the exam date.
If you register online or by phone, you can get yourself registered as late as 24 hours before the exam date. But it is safer to stick to early registration as you will then have a set schedule to prepare for the exam accordingly. Even the coaching institutes recommend you to register at the earliest available date so that you have a wide window of time to prepare.
Exam Pattern for GMAT
The GMAT Exam comprises of four sections:
- Analytical Writing
- Integrated Reasoning
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Verbal Reasoning
Syllabus of GMAT Exam 2020
GMAT is a three and a half hours test with a maximum score of 800 points. The GMAT test the candidate's’ abilities on various parameters. Further, the GMAT exam has four sections:
- Analytical Writing Assessment—measures candidates ability to think critically and to communicate their ideas
- Integrated Reasoning—measures candidates ability to analyze data and evaluate information presented in multiple formats
- Quantitative Reasoning—measures aspirants ability to analyze data and draw conclusions using reasoning skills
- Verbal Reasoning—measures the ability of the candidates to read and understand written material, to evaluate arguments and to correct written material to conform to standard written English
How is GMAT Score calculated?
Each of your five GMAT Scores i.e. 4 GMAT sections and the total score is reported on a fixed scale. These are your official scores that appear on your GMAT Score Report. Your selected score recipients will receive these scores. Always remember, that the GMAT Total Score Report includes Verbal and Quantitative scores and does not include any other section into account.
The GMAT Score Report comprises of these elements:
- Your Quantitative Score (0 – 60), with percentile
- Your Verbal Score (0 – 60), with percentile
- Your Total GMAT Score (200 – 800), with percentile
- AWA Score (half-integers from 0 to 6), with percentile
- Integrated Reasoning score (integer from 1 to 8)
GMAT Score Range
Here are the minimum and maximum score range of each section, along with a mean average:
|Section||Score Range||Mean Scores*|
|Analytical Writing Assessment||0-6||4.5|
GMAT Scores for Top 10 Business Schools
Your GMAT Scores allow you to apply to the top business schools across the world. We have provided average GMAT Scores required to get into the top business schools globally:
|Business Schools||Average GMAT Score|
|University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)||732|
|Stanford University (CA)||732|
|Yale University (CT)||724|
|Harvard University (MA)||730|
|Columbia University (NY)||732|
|University of California—Berkeley (Haas)||726|
|University of Chicago (Booth)||731|
|Northwestern University (Kellogg) (IL)||732|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan)||728|
|Dartmouth College (Tuck) (NH)||722|
Scholarships and grants are generally given by B-schools to pursue a professional program like MBA.
Moreover, scholarships can be need-based or merit-based, however, there are no set rules for awarding a scholarship.
It depends on each school’s admission process, so, the candidate should always check with the school itself for gaining a scholarship. Also, there are two kinds of scholarships, full and partial.
The full scholarship covers the entire cost of the program, whereas a partial one covers only the part of the course fee. Also, we have given detailed information on GMAT Scholarships for Indian students,