Indian Institute of Technology Mandi (IIT Mandi) is an autonomous engineering and technology university located in Mandi district, Himachal Pradesh.
IIT Mandi's permanent campus (about 14 km from Mandi) is fully functional on the left bank of the Uhl River at Kamand and Salgi villages in Mandi District. Timothy A. Gonsalves was the first Director of IIT Mandi and R. C. Sawhney served as the first Registrar.
Other Names: IIT Mandi
Motto: Scaling the heights!
Type: Public Engineering school
Established: 2009; 11 years ago
Chairman Shri Subodh Bhargava
Director: Timothy A. Gonsalves
Academic Staff: 158
Location: Mandi, Himachal Pradesh, India
Campus: Spread over 520 acres (2.1 km2) along river Uhl in Kamand, Mandi, Himachal Pradesh
IIT Mandi Admission Process
The admission process of IIT Mandi is mentioned below:
- IIT Mandi BTech admission is conducted through a candidate's JEE Advanced rank followed by JoSAA counselling
- Applicants need to have a valid score in GATE to secure admission to MTech programme
- For MSc and integrated MSc + PhD candidates, a candidate needs to appear for JAM exam, followed by an interview
- MS by research candidates will have to submit GRE or GMAT with GATE or NET test score
IIT Mandi Courses Eligibility & Detailed Fees
|COURSE||ELIGIBILITY||TOTAL FEES/ YEAR|
|B.Tech||10+2 with 75% + JEE Main||₹2.08 Lakhs|
|M.Tech||Pass in Graduation + GATE||₹2.12 Lakhs|
|M.Sc||Graduation with 55% + IIT JAM||₹20,067|
|M.Sc||Graduation with 55% + IIT JAM||₹20,067|
|B.Tech + M.Tech||10+2 with 75% + JEE Main||₹1.66 Lakhs|
History of IIT Mandi
IIT Mandi is one of eight Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India under The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 2011 which declares these eight IITs as well as the conversion of Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University to IIT.
The Act was passed in the Lok Sabha on 24 March 2011 and by the Rajya Sabha on 30 April 2012.
IIT Mandi was mentored by IIT Roorkee, which hosted the first batch of students.
Construction began on 24 February 2009. IIT Mandi was registered as a society in Uttarakhand on 20 June 2009. Classes started in IIT Roorkee, the mentoring IIT, on 27 July 2009.
The transit campus at Government Post graduate College, Mandi was handed over by the Himachal Pradesh Government 16 November 2009.
On 25 April 2015, IIT Mandi became the first of all the new IITs to completely shift B.Tech. to its permanent campus in Kamand.
Campus of IIT Mandi
View of IIT campus from Griffon Peak, Jan 2020. South Campus in front right, North Campus in left middle.
Having started its journey in 2009 with 510 acres (210 ha) of grassland on the banks of river [Uhl River| Uhl] in the village Kamand of Himachal Pradesh, 460 kilometres (290 mi) away from New Delhi, the Indian Institute of Technology Mandi has made impressive and rapid strides towards creating a remarkable and unique campus in the challenging yet serene Himalayan setup.
Sports, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities are also of high importance for the Institute. In addition to the existing indoor badminton courts, table tennis hall, football and cricket fields and gymnasium, the Institute is creating a one of its kind pavilion, a hockey ground with kiosk, and also setting up new tennis, volleyball and basketball courts.
The Institute currently has a medical unit in the South campus and a Health Care Center with 3 Medical officers, an ENT specialist and a Pediatrician, in the North campus.
The facilities include a Procedure Room, a Minor Operation Theater and Physiotherapy Center. The Institute has also set up within its campus important support services, such as creches, a botanical garden with a rich diversity of local plants, children’s parks, stationery shops, a campus school, banks and ATMs, for the convenience of campus residents.
The South Campus
The total area of IIT Mandi is 538 acres of which about 200 acres is flat-land while the rest is mountainous. Work was entrusted to CPWD and NBCC
A Faculty and Staff Recreation Club in the South Campus was also inaugurated on 29 October 2016. The master plan for the complete development of the campus is ready and intends to cater for 5000 students, 600 faculty and associated staff.
The South Campus at IIT Mandi in Kamand is projected to host all the research facilities in the long run. Some of the sites of the South Campus are :
- Residential Complexes
- Prashar : Boys Hostel
- Nako : Boys Hostel
- Suvalsar : Boys Hostel
- Chandra Taal : Girls Hostel
- Faculty/ Staff Quarters: Residence for some of the faculty and staff in the south campus.
- A1 : Houses an NKN classroom, some faculty offices and other small-sized classrooms.
- A2 : The building is known as the AMRC, or the, Advanced Material Research Centre, which is a multi-disciplinary hub for research facilities at IIT Mandi.
- A3 : Houses some of the faculty offices and the office of the Dean (Academics).
- A4 : Houses some of the faculty offices and a medium sized conference room with NKN connectivity.
- A5 : Currently houses the Central Library, 3 PC labs and a few small-sized classrooms.
- A6 : Apart from housing some of the faculty offices, the building primarily hosts the BioX Centre. 
- A7 : Hosts the Director's Office, the Registrar's Office, the Finance and Accounts office, and some faculty offices
- A9 : Houses a big classroom with a capacity of around 200 students.
SC-NKN : Stable Complex – NKN, or SC-NKN as it is called, the building has a small classroom (having NKN connectivity) along with some other laboratories
- Mechanical Workshop
Student Dining Hall
- Cedar Mess: is situated at the center of the campus
- Maple Mess: is situated in the southern part of the campus, catering to the students of the hostels nearby
- Sir C.V. Raman Canteen : Usually open from 9 am to around 11.30 pm, the canteen is located near the bus stop of the South Campus.
- Daily Dose Cafe : Situated at the ground floor of the Maple (D2) mess, the newly opened joint serves a variety of snacks (ranging from Pizza, Pasta, Waffles and Doracakes)
- The Priya Canteen : Located inside the Cedar (D1) mess, the canteen mostly serves ready-to-eat items.
Other Offices / Amenities
- Dean (Students) Secretariat
- Cricket Ground
- Football Ground
- Sports Complex
The North Campus
The North Campus is to host almost all the students in the long run (with the South Campus catering to the residential and research requirements of the research scholars). At present, all the undergraduate students reside in the North Campus, with some of the post graduates students also living in here.
The North Campus has the following sites :
- Residential Complexes
- Beaskund : Boys Hostel
- Dashir : Boys Hostel
- Gaurikund : Girls Hostel
- Faculty Housing and Staff Quarters
- A9 Innovation Hub: This 5-storey hub-shaped building has a Design & Innovation Lab and Exhibition area on the ground and 1st floors. Above this is the Registrar's and other Administrative offices. Next is a Satellite Library and research labs. The top floor houses the Director's Office, Board Room and research labs. Radiating up the valley from the hub are the A10-A13 and A11-A14 academic spines.
- A10 : The 4 story building which houses some of the faculty offices apart from many medium to large sized classrooms.
- A13 : The building hosts the 300 seater classroom in addition to other small to medium sized classrooms.
- A16 : The Central Library of the institute
Student Dining Hall
- Pine Mess : Located near the A10 block
- Oak Mess : Catering mostly to the residents of the Dashir Hostel blocks, the Oak Mess is situated on the eastern side of the North Campus.
- Sunrise Cave Cafe
- Jassi Canteen
- Amul Parlour
- One Bite Canteen
Village Square Area
- Holds four major complexes arranged in a circular way overlooking the park type structure :
- The Auditorium Complex : In addition to the 800 seater auditorium, the complex has 3 small lecture halls (with a capacity of around 40–50 students) each.
- The Sports Complex : Hosts badminton, Table Tennis and Squash courts.
- Guest House
- Health Centre
- The Academic Office
- Hockey Ground
- Swimming Pool
- Megastar Mini Mart
Academics of IIT Mandi
IIT Mandi like all other Indian Institutes of Technology, conducts various programs including bachelor's degree in Technology (B.Tech.). It also offers postgraduate level programs like Master of Science and Master of Science(Research). Further, it also offers a Ph.D. program for cutting edge research in basics sciences such as chemical sciences, physical sciences as well as in disciplines of engineering. The academic year is organized between two semester a year.
IIT Mandi follows a 10-point CGPA scale, with a rigorous examination procedure consisting of two mid-semester examinations called Quizzes and an end-semester exam. Apart from that, the courses may involve short projects, term-papers, self-study assignments, tutorials and regular surprise quizzes.
Currently(2019–2020), IIT Mandi offers Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) programs in six disciplines namely:
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Data Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Physics
- Mechanical Engineering
The institute also offers a dual-degree programme (B.Tech. – M.Tech.) in the following discipline :
Like all the other IITs, admissions to these programs are done on the basis of merit list of JEE-Advanced, the second phase examination of Joint Entrance Examination (JEE), which is an all India engineering entrance examination.
Female Enrollment in B.Tech
The Indian Institute of Technology, Mandi, has successfully achieved the target of female enrolment in undergraduate courses by admitting 20.22 percent female students to B. Tech programme for the Academic Year 2019–20. This compares favorably with the target of 17 percent set by the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Apex Board Committee for 2019–20.
Out of 262 students who took admission, 53 are girls A total number of 262 students were admitted to IIT Mandi this year in B.Tech courses, out of which 53 are girls and 209 are boys as compared to 38 girls and 158 boys last year. A total of 103 students have been admitted this year in the M.Sc. courses, of which 36 are girls and 67 are boys.
Data regarding the number of women taking admission:
- 2015: 8
- 2016: 6
- 2017: 22
- 2018: 38
- 2019: 53
IIT Mandi also offers postgraduate programs like M.S.(by Research), M.Sc. and M.Tech. under various departments. Currently, IIT Mandi offers M.S. program in fields of basic sciences and engineering, M.Sc. program in Chemistry and M.Tech. in Energy Materials.
For any candidate to be eligible for admission, he/she must have a bachelor's degree in Engineering / Technology or master's degree in appropriate Sciences with valid score in GATE or equivalent national level examination or GRE in appropriate discipline.
Shortlisted candidates are called for personal interview and based on which admission is offered.
IIT Mandi also offers Ph.D. program in the field of engineering and basic sciences. To be eligible for admission process, the candidate must have a master's degree in sciences with a good academic record and a valid GATE score or UGC/CSIR NET/ Master's degree in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record/ B. Tech degree of any IIT with a minimum of CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or with a valid GATE Score or B. Tech. / B.E degree of any recognized University in India with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or equivalent with valid GATE score.
Research at IIT Mandi
IIT Mandi nurtures an interdisciplinary research environment that develops innovative technologies for widespread use. Driven by the need of the region and the nation, the thrust areas have been identified and organised.
Research Centers at IIT Mandi
The Advanced Materials Research Centre (AMRC) has a focus on the environment and on agriculture particularly for traditional farmers who are engaged in the cultivation of fruits, vegetables, saffron and medicinal plants in this region.
The Centre for Design & Fabrication of Electronic Devices (C4DFED) is a unique institute facility for multidisciplinary research of electronic device design and fabrication. The Centre has Class 100, Class 1000 & Class 10000 laboratories where high-end sophisticated electronic device design, fabrication and characterization tools worth Rs. 50 crore are installed.
As a result of the 5WIP, IIT Mandi's new entrants are well equipped to handle the pressure of academic life, bond with each other and with faculty, and are able to make the most of their time at the Institute.
The Institute primarily consists of Faculty, Project Associates and Students divided across several schools. Currently there are four schools operational in IIT Mandi.
- School of Computing and Electrical Engineering
- School of Basic Sciences
- School of Engineering
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Business Incubators and Entrepreneurship
In keeping with its Vision of serving society, IIT Mandi has started two business incubators and has a student-run E-Cell.
IIT Mandi Catalyst
IIT Mandi Catalyst is the first technology business incubator (TBI) in Himachal Pradesh. It was inaugurated by Prof Ashok Jhunjhunwala on 15 May 2016.
IIT Mandi Catalyst offers a low-cost, high-tech, yet peaceful and picturesque destination to early-stage startups.
Enabling Women of Kamand (EWOK)
Enabling Women of Kamand (EWOK) is an innovative programme started by IIT Mandi in May 2016.
It focuses on imparting skills training to rural women to enable them to start village-scale businesses. EWOK has partnered with women from the four panchayats of Kamand, Kataula, Katindhi and Navlaya in Mandi district.
E-Cell (Entrepreneurship Cell)
The E-Cell is a student-run club that provides exposure to entrepreneurship to IIT Mandi students.
Student life at IIT Mandi
Student activities at IIT Mandi are grouped into six different societies namely, Academic, Cultural, Literary, Research, Sports and Technical.
Technical Society include Energy club, Electronics club, KamandPrompt (The Programming Club), STAC (The Astronomy Club), Robotronics (The Robotics and Electronics Club), Nirman Club and Mobile and Application Development (MAD) club. Cultural Society include Art Geeks (Art club), Music club, UDC (Dance club), Dramatics club, ShutterBugs (The Photography Club) and Perception (The Videography Club). Literary Society include English Debating and Literary Society (EDLS) and the student magazine group (Vivaan). Sports society has a sports council which coordinate all the sports activities for Football, Cricket, Badminton, Lawn Tennis, Badminton, Table Tennis, Volleyball, Basketball, Hockey, Athletics and Chess at both Mandi and Kamand Campus.
Academic Society invites student participation and acts as a bridge between the students and the faculty and helps in the overall smooth functioning of the academic activities. It also assists the students in participating in various student exchange programs and internships. Research Society includes IIT Mandi Research Club (IITMRC).