Patna University, the first university in Bihar, was established on 1 October 1917 during the British Raj, and is the eleventh oldest university of the Indian subcontinent. At that time, the jurisdiction of the university extended to Bihar, Odisha, and the Kingdom of Nepal.
The university oversaw examinations for educational institutions ranging from school finals to the postgraduate levels. This continued almost for four decades, until the establishment of the Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, and the Utkal University, Bhubaneshwar.
Motto: The Desire To Seek The Truth Should Be Your Defined Quest
Type: State University
Established: 1 October 1917 (102 years ago)
Chancellor: Phagu Chauhan
Vice-Chancellor: Prof. (Dr.) H.N. Prasad
Location: Patna, Bihar, India
Sports: Cricket, Table Tennis, Chess, Volleyball, Badminton
Social Network: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram
Patna University History
Patna University was established in 1917 as an affiliating and examining body. On January 2, 1952 it was converted into a purely teaching-cum-residential university with the territorial jurisdiction over metropolitan Patna. It is one of the oldest universities in India. It is the first in Bihar, and seventh oldest University in the subcontinent. The university buildings are mostly located on the bank of River Ganges and in the Saidpur Campus.
Patna University Organisation
The university is an affiliating institution and has its jurisdiction over metropolitan Patna. Eleven colleges are affiliated with this university.
Faculties and departments of Patna University
Patna University has 30 departments organised into eight faculties: science, humanities, commerce, social sciences, education, law, fine arts and medicine.
Patna University Faculty of Science
This faculty consists the departments of physics, chemistry, mathematics, botany, zoology, statistics and geology.
Faculty of Humanities
This faculty consists the departments of English, Hindi, ancient Indian history and archaeology, Bangla, Sanskrit, Maithili, Persian, Philosophy, Arabic and Urdu.
Patna University Faculty of Social Sciences
This faculty consists the departments of history, geography, psychology, ancient Indian history and archaeology, economics, personal management and industrial relations, sociology, political science and public administration.
Faculties of Law, Education, Commerce, Fine Arts and Medicine
Each of this faculty comprises only one department, namely, law, education, commerce, fine arts and BDS.
The university and its affiliated colleges and institutions offer undergraduate and postgraduate courses in different areas like law, teacher training, science, arts, commerce, medicine and engineering. Admission in these courses are mainly based on the result of higher secondary (10+2) and graduation (10+2+3) level results, respectively. The aspirants for research level programs have to sit for a qualifying test (RET) followed by an interview. Since 1974, the university also has a Directorate of Distance Education for conducting postgraduate studies in distance education.
Notable People of Patna University
Main article: List of Patna University people
|H. C. Verma||physicist|
|Nalin Vilochan Sharma||writer and poet|
|Ram Sharan Sharma||Historian|
|Rameshwar Singh Kashyap||Bhojpuri Playwright and Aruthor|
Politics and Law
- Anugrah Narayan Sinha, nationalist and first Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar
- Baccha Prasad Singh, Indian Maoist politician
- Bali Ram Bhagat, former speaker of Lok Sabha
- Balmiki Prasad Singh, scholar, Governor of Sikkim (2008–2013)
- Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha, 6th Chief Justice of India
- Chhedi Paswan, Member Of Parliament
- Dilip Sinha, Indian diplomat and ambassador
- Digvijay Singh, former Union Minister of India
- Krishna Sahi, former Union Minister
- Shri Krishna Singh, first Chief Minister of Bihar
- Lalit Mohan Sharma, former Chief Justice of India
- Lalu Prasad Yadav, former Chief Minister of Bihar
- Ravi Shankar Prasad, senior advocate, Supreme Court of India, Union Minister of IT and Law and Justice
- Nitish Kumar, socialist, National President, Janta Dal (U), current Chief Minister of Bihar
- Ram Dulari Sinha, former Union Minister of state, former Kerala Governor, freedom fighter
- Abhayanand, educationalist, IPS officer
- Ram Vilas Paswan, ( Founder Of LJP ) , Former Railway Minister Of India , Member Of Indian Parliament , Union Minister Of India
- Vijay Kumar Chaudhary, WRD minister of Bihar
- Sanjay Paswan, Professor, Former Minister of state in Govt Of India, Member Of Bihar Legislative Council
- Satyendra Narayan Sinha, member of Provisional Parliament, former Chief Minister of Bihar
- Surur Hoda, Socialist Leader
- Yashwant Sinha, former Minister of Finance
- Ram deo Bhandary, former member of parliament and former general secretary of RJD
Science and Technology
- Samprada Singh founder of Alkem Laboratories
- Anand Kumar, Indian mathematician and educationalist
- Ravindra Kumar Sinha, environmentalist
- Tathagat Avatar Tulsi, physicist
- Devendra Prasad Gupta, Indian botanist and academician
- Sudhanshu Shekhar Jha, condensed matter physicist
- H. C. Verma, Indian experimental physicist
- Tathagat Avatar Tulsi, scientist and child prodigy.
- Dr Ram Yatan Prasad Ex Vice chancellor ,Sidhu kahnu University ,Dumka
- Jharkhand,famous author of chemistry in bihar
- Degree Notability References
- Sharda Sinha folk singer
- Kalim Ajiz, Urdu poet
- Satinath Bhaduri, novelist
- Ramdhari Singh Dinkar, Hindi poet
- Dr Subhadra Jha, Linguist, Essayist, Indologist and Educationist
- Bindeshwar Pathak, founder of Sulabh International
- Gopal Prasad Sinha, neurologist, politician
- Indradeep Sinha, economist, writer and veteran communist leader
- Jayaprakash Narayan, freedom fighter
- Ram Karan Sharma, scholar of Sanskrit
- Ram Raj Pant, founder of Nepal Law College and pioneering linguist of Nepali language
- Rustum Roy, influential material scientist, professor and author
- Ravish Kumar, news anchor, editor at NDTV
- Sweta Singh, news anchor and Deputy Editor of Aaj Tak
- Ranjit Sinha, Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation
- Vashishtha Narayan Singh, mathematician
- Vikas Jha, author and journalist
- Abdul Bari